About Your Benefits
Open enrollment is your opportunity to choose the right benefits for you, and in most cases you cannot change your options until the next open enrollment period. You can change your benefit elections during the year if you have a change in family or employment status—what the IRS calls a "qualifying event." Changes must be made within 30 days of the event and must be related to the qualifying event.
For example, if you have a baby, you may enroll your child for medical coverage. However, you cannot enroll your spouse in the dental plan at the same time. Typical qualifying events are:
- You increase/decrease your status (FT, RPT, PD)
- Your spouse or partner changes/gains/loses a job
- Your marital status or partnership changes
- You gain or lose a dependent
- Your spouse's or partner's open enrollment
If you experience a qualifying event, you must complete and submit the Qualifying Events for to make changes to your benefit elections. The form can be located under the Forms & Documents tab, on the Benefit Plan/Program documents page.